Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Panic!

This morning I went to the local university to see if I could use some rooms there to do my study, since the Haitian consulate was not really a neutral space. They showed me some rooms, said sure, no problem, and when I mentioned that I wanted to do them Friday, they said, "Oh, but French Guiana shuts down from Good Friday on, for the next week." Really French Guiana? Nobody wanted to mention this to me before when I was talking about doing the interviews next week?

In any event, it sent me scrambling to arrange 8 interviews for Thursday morning and afternoon. I left messages on most people's voicemail and I'm still waiting for responses, but I'm still hopeful. If worse comes to worse, I can always do interviews without use of a camcorder, which wouild allow me to conduct them outside and therefore would allow me to conduct them next week. Anyhow, now it's a question of a waiting game. I'll have to call people again tomorrow.

On the bright side, it does mean I'll be done in plenty of time to enjoy my last few days here, seeing a rocket launch on Friday and going to Brazil and perhaps a bit of Saint-Georges on the border.

No comments:

Post a Comment