Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Brazil!

While my passport doesn't show it, I have officially been to Brazil as of today. It was a disappointingly short trip, and most of my time was spent in a bus station, but still it was a real change from Cayenne. Oiapoque, the border town named for the river that separates Brazil from French Guiana, is a small town that has developed quite a bit in recent years, but still shows signs of an underdeveloped rural area. A colony as far from the minds of Brazilians as Cayenne is from the French. If ever a town made Cayenne look great, it was Oiapoque. That being said, it was really cool to just be over the border, because it felt so different from French Guiana. Different energy, different architecture, different people. Hopefully I'll go back one day. In the meantime, enjoy these photos.


This is my first view of Brazil.


This is the bridge that will connect French Guiana to Brazil.


But as you can see it's not quite finished.

This is a monument in the middle of the town.



This is basically the first thing I saw when I stepped off the boat.


This is the community of Saint-Victoria, which has been growing a bit over the last few years.


No comments:

Post a Comment