Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien

So today was my first round of interviews. STRESSFUL.

It started with being unable to print my documents on campus, so I had to go into town. Once in town I went to my normal internet café. When I went to print out one document, I could see that almost all the spaces between words had disappeared. I had to take 10 minutes to reinstate them all. Then I printed them all out (at US$0.40 a sheet!), only to discover that another document had similar problems. It was only then that I realized the files had been corrupted in such a way that deleted all the spaces between words that the computer didn't recognize as being French. Luckily these weren't crucial documents so I cut my losses and went to the campus to set everything up.

Though the set-up was fine, there were a ton of no-shows, to the point where even though I had overbooked the interviews to guard against such a crisis, I still only had two interviewees. Refusing to let the perfect be the enemy of the good (an expression translated by the title of this post), I decided to have the interviewers do one-on-one interviews and salvage whatever linguistic data I could get. At the very least it will inform my work, even if I can't formally include it in the study since its methodology is so divergent from the rest of the projected study's.

Tonight, a friend is taking me to dinner with his Haitian friend. Reports on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment