Search This Blog

Friday, July 2, 2010

Wasted day

Today I feel like I did nothing, even though I know in my head that that wasn't exactly true. I went to see the Haitian priest, who said he wouldn't be available for another week. While I was there, he introduced me to another potential interviewee, so that was good. Then, I met a speaker of the local creole and I spoke to him for a bit, and gave him my number. And of course, while I was speaking to him in his own language (badly, but he clearly understood me), he responded to me in English, because no one will speak to me in the local creole, and, based on what I read before coming here, I'm 90% sure it's because I'm white. The Haitians don't care; even if they think it's weird that I speak Haitian Creole, they like it and they respond in it. But the power dynamics between the races are not the same here as in Haiti. Nonetheless, I have met a couple of people here who have told me they'll introduce me to their French Guianese friends, so I'm still holding out hope.

Later, while waiting for Jorge to arrive so I could serve as his interpreter at the clinic, a woman from my building came home from the market with way too much stuff, so I helped her carry it up to her room, and we were chit-chatting and it turned out she was Haitian and will be having a party tomorrow night with a few of her friends, to which I am cordially invited (and where I will be recruiting).

Then Jorge and I went early to his doctor's appointment, and waited a very long time for a 5 minute meeting, that was not particularly helpful or informative. Then we had a long bus ride home (apparently if you ride to the end of one line you have to pay again to go back; who knew?)

Tonight there is a salsa festival, which I'll probably go to briefly before heading home to do some work.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, the linguistic behavior you mentioned is an interesting cultural difference between Haitians and Guyanais...

    ReplyDelete