Search This Blog

Friday, July 16, 2010

Art and conversation

So tonight is one of those nights I really wish I had my camera cord. After my elicitation session, my Creole teacher took me to his friend's house a town over (Matoury), where the friend was exhibiting some of his paintings. Really impressive work, even if the style wasn't always something I'd want hanging in my home. I met the son of an important local playwright (whose book I have in my suitcase), which was kind of cool. We stayed there for a while and they all spoke in creole and seemed impressed with my ability to speak (on the rare occasions when I saw fit to interject). It was a very productive night in terms of my own linguistic competence, which is half the reason I'm down here, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment