Search This Blog

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Blur

The last couple days are a bit of a blur due to their unremarkable happenings. I'll try to reconstruct it.

On Tuesday, I went early to the market. Now, Tuesday is not one of the regular market days. I didn't even realize it was open that day until Violette asked me to come visit her that day so that she could show me a book in Haitian Creole. I in return would show her a dictionary that one of my advisers edited. Well I showed up, and she had forgotten the book (but I didn't care because I had forgotten to show up to the previous meeting). But we spent a lot of time going through the dictionary with her grandson (who seems to be about my age) and her friends, talking about different words. She's fond of telling me that Haitian Creole is tough because "There's a lot of consonants and vowels." I'm not quite sure what that means or what that's in comparison to, but I like it.

And then I went to help Jorge out, serving as an interpreter with his lawyer, who's helping him chart a way forward in his quest to stay in French territory. That took an incredibly long time, only because the lawyer made us wait a half hour.

The rest of the time has been spent working and cooking. I made beef with bok choi (surprisingly, this is a French Guianese dish) along with a fried-plantain tart. Pretty darn good, I have to say. I'll be making it at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment