Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Yum

Rather than recounting my day, I'm just going to talk about my dinner because quite frankly, it was the highlight of the whole day.

I took a ride down to the fish market this morning to buy two pounds of fish for about 7 bucks. One pound of fish was carangue, seen alive in this photo. Carangue is my favorite fish down here, and maybe my favorite fish anywhere. It's got the meatiness of swordfish with the thickness of whitefish. Excellent. The other was a pound of shark meat, which I haven't had in a while and am looking forward to trying.



Anyhow, I needed to figure out what to make for dinner with next to nothing in the house. So, I chopped up some onions, green beans, and cabbage, then sauteed them for a bit. I poured in some red wine and added garlic, chopped and whole. Then I threw in some mustard and a bit of water to make it more of a sauce. After a while I added about 4 ounces of carangue. At the end, it was too acidic, so I looked in the fridge, and there was a small tub of cream, right at its sell-by date. I threw in two dollops, and I was done.

The result:

Frickin' delicious. You can serve it over rice, though I served it over kwak, manioc flour. I'll be making this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment