Search This Blog

Saturday, June 26, 2010

To market, To market

This morning was my second trip to the market. It's huge and dwarfs the Bloomington market, which is no small market considering the size of the city. Since my only means of heating food is a microwave, Jorge decided that he was going to make us ceviche. We first went to the fish market, a bit farther from the main one. I kept Jorge from accidentally buying shark (top left of first photo) instead of acoupa (on the right), which seems to be the local generic fish.






Then we went all around the outdoor market looking for ceviche ingredients at a good price (Jorge bargains very well). There were a bunch of things there that looked really good or really strange. Next week I'll splurge on some strange fruits and report back. There's this potato-like thing that I saw unlabelled at a couple of stands (first photo); if you know what it is, please share your knowledge in a comment. In the next picture is taro and oranges. The third picture has a bunch of starches, including purple potatoes; in the front right corner you can see some giant avocados (sorry Matt, I can't bring you any).












There's also a lot inside, including meals made on the spot (which I'm still wary of trying), lots of liquor (not pictured), and some great crafts.








Abrupt end.

No comments:

Post a Comment