Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Low-key day

Today I spent the morning in the Departmental Archives of French Guiana, where they have all sorts of documents on the history and culture of region. The selection on Guianese French Creole is limited, but I did come across a new resource, an ABC’s of the language. Written by two educators, its main function is to help elementary school teachers expose Creole-speaking children to the alphabet as they learn to read, using Creole words to exemplify each letter. While there were not many words per page, there were a total of 50 words without entries or with different spellings in the previously published dictionaries that I had with me. After a brief stop at the market to pick up a drink and fruits that I had never had (plus a giant but disappointingly bland avocado), as well as some time with the Colombian family Jorge introduced me to, I went home and spent my time putting the new words into my dictionary program. Over the course of the next few days, I’ll try the new fruits and report back.



No comments:

Post a Comment